Sunday, January 31, 2016

Diary of An Immortal by KiusLady: The Review

Spoilers ahead if you don't read all thirty-seven chapters of the original fic! Read @ your own risk and for enjoyment, using kiuslady.deviantart.com.

First of all, it was good, but then, it feels like I've been connected to The Glass Castle like New York in the '80s, and then time flew by ridiculously fast and it's not what I'd expected it to be. It's not a fantasy-action/adventure type, but rather it should be an eFic classic where reality and fantasy combine. I believe my eFic is better when it comes to fantasy and it should be an action/adventure in the first for the 70s, but went potentially serious in Generation 2 for the 80s and finally, it came crashing down to reality in the 90s and 2000s. I don't believe the time in my fic is more further down in the past than hers, but this time, it reaches the ending point of January 22, 2010 (the day where the last chapter was posted), compared to June 12, 2009 of the timing of my fic. The start date is in late spring 1979, compared to Miyako's birthday - April 21, 1943. Mine lasted 66 years while hers is thirty years and eight months. That takes almost half of the overall time in both eFics - one is a fanfic and the other is of the original work, which lasted the whole entire generation or so - 30 years in a row. Did you get it?!

Anyways, this is very realistic, compared to Enchanted (2007) in which I pretty much love it. But the rejuvenation every 30 or so years, it was like the rehash of the flower healing sequence from Tangled in my mental picture, except a bit more brighter. I think the main character in the story who was still physically in the early twenties, but chronologically supposed to be into her sixties by now after one time from magical fountain of youth kinda reminds me of Mia from the film adaptation of If I Stay from last year. Her older brother Gavin reminds me of D. Stecks, but his wife Diana and children Lucy and Emily, I somewhat connected the difference to the main character's son and fiancĂ© from Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, in which things went intolerated at first, but it changed overtime. About Torahalar, he used to be her lover, but now he's treated like son, like mother in the end clichĂ© (as in a somewhat ripoff of Miyako and Haruki at the end of Tales of the Fame of Yesterday). I don't know how old were the parents, but believe me, in the year where the 9/11 attacks happened, the father had a heart attack, two years later, my grandmother died, another two years later, he died, the next two years went, his wife passed on. Another two years later, all of my three grandfathers died and the very next year, my stepuncle died over a month after the story ends.

So... this story is good. It wasn't great as I thought it is by the hype, it wasn't bad thus remembering too much of the trope I made up called "Things Have Changed Too Quickly" on about the other half when reality faces the protagonist, compared to Prep in the end, right after Prize Day '93. I should use the "Things Have Changed Too Quickly" trope for the beginning of Generation 3 of my legacy challenge fanfic once we go back to Earth after 19 years of being in a fantasy land. I would highly recommend Imaginary-Alchemist watchers for deviantART based on certain tastes, but including Imaginary-Alchemist (the one I subscribe for MIL webcomic) and Sanna2011. Thank you for reading January's eFic of the Month review, I will be doing February's The Silence Before by Ray Underscore Thompson of The Retributionists.

No comments:

Post a Comment