Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Screwtape Letters Review

I've read that book before, but recently, I looked it up on Goodreads to see the reviews of what other people have read this. Boy, was I pressured to reread it again sometime in the future.

Read it in Deaf Awareness Week 2014 (September 14-20, 2014).

This is such a good book about Wormwood and Screwtape - two devils from the underworld. Screwtape was older than Wormwood, so it's like Uncle and Nephew relationship-wise. There are 25 letters in all, telling us how the world was portrayed as realistic spiritually (in other words, it's full of hate) and that they tell us what are the problems are in our lives, especially if you're a Christian. I was thinking I had learned that it's a great classic, risen out of the depths of the second world war. It's C.S. Lewis, the author of The Chronicles of Narnia who wrote it.

Did you know this is first published in February 1942? The first edition cover is a dust wrapper as you'll see on Wikipedia in the link using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Screwtape_Letters. This is a story of things (it's the letters in Christian apologetic form with plot and characters, so it's unique) that have to deal with temptation and to know how to resist it, especially if you're a millennial (like me) that was uprising individualism (I sometimes turned to it when it comes to the Internet because I was such a good blogger in what I experience with importance). I understand this, but to be perfectly honest, you have to read this book. I guarantee to do so...

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment