Monday, April 21, 2014

My Inference of Banned Book Awareness Resolution of Reading for Knowledge 2014-2015

        Since Living On Your Own unit begins with what's unexpected on the job communication, it's time for me to have my mind exposed to issues we face in America: censorship with the most controversial topics of everything wrong with books, but the faith on what people most believe in never really is a sin. I'm a Christian. I read the Bible. I write down notes on sermons. I am a Republican. I carefully listened to my parents. I'm literate and I am a visual person. I learn American Sign Language as a special language for disabled people, Deaf people and interpreters. My sisters have foreign oral second language - Lauren's on Spanish and Simone's on Japanese. Here's my inference on what I have read prior to seeing the banned books list on ALA and Wikipedia:

1. Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? (reason: one mistake made in Texas)
2. In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak (reason: nudity and innuendo - these reasons ruined my childhood literally)
3. Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (reason: offending Muslims, talking animals)
4. Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne (reason: see above)
5. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (reason: bit of blasphemy, occult/Satanism, violence for a tiny bit near the end)
6. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeliene L'Engle (reason: religious viewpoint)
7. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (reason: references to sex and language)
8. A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines (reason: sexual content at one scene, language, violence including a tragic ending on what I should've extended on from the end point in the movie adaptation)
9. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (reason: gangs and gang fights, drug and alcohol abuse, smoking, drinking, profanity, 60s slang, expose on family dysfunction, unchristian values, lack of adult role models, excessive violence, obscenities)

Things My Parents Told Me Not To Do So in Media:

1. His Dark Materials (reason: anti-Christian)
2. Harry Potter (reason: full of dark stuff occurring in the series)
3. Wizards of Waverly Place: The Series (reason: witchcraft)
4. Halloweentown Tetralogy (reason: ...still witchcraft)
5. Twilight Saga (reason: paranormal stuff, violence, religious viewpoint, sexual content, language)
6. Mortal Instruments (reason: Mary-Sue of Harry Potter and Twilight)
7. Gossip Girl (reason: "pretty little liars", adult content)
8. Pretty Little Liars (reason: useless missions going on in the series, language)

That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment