Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Arsenic and Old Laces The Play Review

        It's like the murder mystery of the early 1940s, even though The Phantom of the Opera has got an update to the time when we the US and Allies had to defeat the Enemy lands in an important statehood of an army (WWII). It's not opera singing, neither the Angel of Music (Eric) and other ghosts exist, nor the fanciness of the Victorian style happen - for it's extremely rare; there's Abby and Martha that kept this type of style in tradition. There's Mortimer who wrote most terrible reviews at the theater, for he's a critic. He got engaged to Elaine. Jonathan is the main villain of the story, with H. Einstein as the sidekick - much of the French-Italian like accent to me. What about Teddy?! He was a Roosevelt-wannabe and said "CHARGE!" when he goes upstairs every single time that it was like a definite slogan of what would be like in the Spanish-American War. There are 11... no, 12... no, 13 people dead in this play! The dead people were located in the cellar and they were all Yellow Fever victims. No wonder why did they all die beforehand?

        I know I've seen three popular live Broadway musicals already in my life: the Cinderella production by Rodgers and Hammsterstein (when I was 11 in 2007 at the JHS Auditorium), Aladdin (it's very near to premeire at Broadway on February 26 that I already saw it at the 5th Avenue theater when I was 15), and Anything Goes (the Disney version of James Cameron's Titanic; it took place in the 1930s, much G-rated like (suitable for 8 and up), has a happy ending (the boat has a reversable travel from America to England and successfully landed there), 11 jazzy songs throughout the whole play (the original version of the movie hit had no songs whatsoever for it's a contemporary serious star-crossed lover's tragedy - Celiene Dion had an original popular blockbuster song (My Heart Will Go On) sang in the end credits), and the last time it played at the JHS Auditorium it was after I already saw Shen Yun - much edible from what the script was originally written). I thought it was a musical of the Ragtimes, but no; for I already read over half a script while in groups but shortly after 4 in the afternoon last Friday, my mom picked me up, and dang, I never got to finish the whole entire thing around but to pick up to where I am at. What a shame that my life would be like if there are full of ups-and-downs in this way. And I never got to finish less the other half once when I watched the whole entire game of when the Seahawks defeat the Broncos - 43-8 Seattle, by the way. I read part of it just so to get my nails decorated by Simone - just in time for the game. Thanks for the time being put off by all of the chill-outs and what-nots, I can read the other half all Monday long...

        I came back with almost done with the whole thing when Monday ends. I think that it was such a very good, but the edible play with the striping edits. I think why did this play became so popular in high schools, community colleges and rarely professional theatres especially when it comes to murder mystery. I finished the script finally this morning... thank goodness. Now comes very important events to come up with: Video Game Night on a Friday and Regionals on a Saturday. It's like vacation weekend the first half. It took five days to progress it through, but man, believe me, I think I had to research the early 1940s.

No comments:

Post a Comment